Re: Proposed replies to Pointer Gestures public comments (IBM)

If memory serves (which is doubtful), the original intention of Pointer Gestures went beyond requiring single untimed gesture operation as alternative for any timed and/or complex gesture. It was also meant to cover situations where functions can be activated via a keyboard (such as closing a help popup that has no close button by pressing ESC) that may not be available on other devices that only have a virtual keyboard. The use case was that users may not able to bring up the virtual keyboard unless some text input gets focus (and even then there may not be an ESC on that keyboard). So a true equivalence between 2.1.1 (everything can be done with a kb) and 2.5.1 (Everything can be done with pointer) was once the intention - plugging a gap that has only become noticeable as kb-less devices have spread.

As you talk about potential overreach, it would be good if you could provide design examples that would cause problems, examples that are not covered by the essential exception. James Nurthen just provided one https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/496 <https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/496> which I will address on Github.