From:   David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
To:     WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, Alastair Campbell
<acampbell@nomensa.com>
Date:   2017-09-18 06:09 PM
Subject:        Re: Compromise on Numbering: Changing 11 AAA numbers
solves the level problem

> ... your proposal appears to presume that entities will either be fully
WCAG 2.0 compliant, or fully WCAG 2.1 compliant, and yet doesn't leave
room for entities going for mandated compliance to 2.0 + cherry picking
*some* new SC now, and gradually adding additional new SC over time. In a
case like that (which I personally anticipate will be the norm, certainly
in the early days), how do we address numbering conflicts in your
proposal?

The Level A and AA numbers don't change. That is what Orgs and countries
are meeting. Only 8 out of 25 AAA change. Any orgs choosing AAA SCs are
already cherry picking, so I don't see a disruption there.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Mobile:  613.806.9005
LinkedIn
twitter.com/davidmacd
GitHub
www.Can-Adapt.com

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:05 PM, David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
wrote:
I've got it down to 8 out of 25 AAA SCs numbers changing.
tinyurl.com/jmo9st4

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Mobile:  613.806.9005
LinkedIn
twitter.com/davidmacd
GitHub
www.Can-Adapt.com

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 7:23 PM, David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
wrote:
Here's what it would look like

tinyurl.com/jmo9st4

It's a new proposal not included in any previous proposed numbering
model.

The remaining options are to have:
- the levels all mixed up
- have the numbers all mixed up in the new WCAG 2.0
- deemphasize numbers

I would like to see the document look elegant, new, and integrated. I
think it's a worthwhile compromise to allow AAA to change numbers.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Mobile:  613.806.9005
LinkedIn
twitter.com/davidmacd
GitHub
www.Can-Adapt.com

  Adapting the web to all users
            Including those with disabilities

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 4:57 PM, David MacDonald <david@can-adapt.com>
wrote:
The current problem is that new Level SCs come in after AAA in
thenstandard unless we jugle the order or deemphise number, neither of
which is ideal.

Here's a proposal that might work as a compromise.

Level AAA SCs are less entrenched in the WCAG culture. What if we agree
that those numbers can change.

- Change 11 Level AAA SC numbers
- Insert the new SCs in their proper place
- move accidental activation to Pointer Guideling as per Steve's
suggestion Issue #376
- Make new Speech guideline 2.7

This would allow the numbers to make sense with the levels also in order,
so no Level A or AA would follow AAA, and would keep ALL Level A and AA SC
numbers in tact.