From: Repsher, Stephen J [mailto:stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 1:10 AM
To: Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: CFC - Device Sensors

-1
The bulk of my comments from the first CFC [1] and from the survey [2] have gone unaddressed or even discussed.  I’m at a conference this week, so I could not join the meeting to voice this audibly, but the first go-around was nearly 2 months ago and my comments in the current survey have not changed much.  In short, there are 2 interrelated problems here:

  1.  The scope far outreaches any documented user problem, which consists of a very short description and one example of shaking a device.  Many sensors, such as a thermometer, barometer, GPS, or ambient light, cannot possibly disadvantage people with disabilities because they require no physical or cognitive ability to operate other than possessing the device.  This criterion needs to be scoped down to sensors that can actually be used in inaccessible ways for PWDs.
  2.  Sensor is an extremely vague term to be using here, and the definition of a “component that detects and responds to some type of input from the physical environment” includes every input type I can think of including keyboards, mice, touch screens, and various AT to mimic those interfaces.  Just because we don’t normally think of these as “sensors” doesn’t mean they are not… Virtually every electronic device a human can interact with is using sensors of some sort.

[1] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2017AprJun/1284.html

[2] https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/Final_prelockdown_set/results

Steve