Re: Purpose of Controls SC

> I don't want to get into the weeds here, John, but I think microdata was
discontinued 4 years ago and has no browser support beyond Opera.
Microformats is a better candidate, IF you're using php, etc, etc.

Hi Mike,

Microformats is still alive and kicking today (although it is now called
microformats2 <http://microformats.org/wiki/microformats2>, which according
to their wiki was last updated June 25th, 2017), and it is but *ONE*
publicly available metadata schema - and at AA we don't even ask for that
much (although we'd prefer that). It is only at the AAA level that we ask
for a public schema (and still don't define one, so if you want to use RDFa
you can) - so ya, at AA the proposed SC is still fairly light-weight in
it's ask of content authors: "Here's a list of critical controls/inputs,
provide additional information about them when you use them".

To me, the goal of the AA Success Criteria is to *introduce the list of
critical controls/inputs that authors need to apply additional 'care' to*,
by providing additional data programmatically - that's all, and I am
confused when others are seeing more here than what is written.

In working with Lisa, Alastair, Chris and others, I was cognizant of us not
making the initial ask here too onerous on the content authors, and that
the applicability would work at scale. FWIW, I agree the list today is
still too long, and oddly placed in the draft spec - two concerns that are
being addressed as we speak - but the CfC explicitly notes that we are in
the process of editing down that list (and BTW, we'd love some greater
feedback when the next Draft is published).

NOTE

The Working Group seeks feedback on the lists of terms included in the
definition. These lists are likely to change as items are likely to be
refined, removed or added. *Initial* list of conventional user interface
components (initial draft for public comment only)

(source: https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/support-personalization_ISSUE-6/
guidelines/#purpose-of-controls)

> the web ecosystem which would allow Purpose of Controls to be met without
a lot of heavy lifting by authors is very immature.

I simply have to disagree. There are robust and mature metadata schemas on
the web today that are fit for purpose here
​, and at the AA level we don't even require metadata - I've previously
shown how the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) requirement could be met using
@title and @aria-describedby​.

 I'm objecting to the WG essentially building our own spec.

​At the risk of sounding like a jerk, isn't that what this WG was chartered
to do? Build a spec?​

At both the AA and AAA level, *we are seeking to add a fixed list of
critical controls and inputs* to WCAG 2.1 (a "...spec with good credibility
and momentum..."), and then requiring that the author do *something* with
those critical controls and inputs above and beyond just ensuring an
Accessible Name (it is, in fact, as I previously noted, essentially asking
that we also provide a type of Accessible Description [sic] to those
controls). At the AAA level we get slightly more prescriptive by
additionally stating that the "something" you do requires the use of a
public metadata schema (but we don't specify one).

I struggle to see how the current infrastructure could be described as
'immature'.

JF