Re: Purpose of Controls SC

+1 to Alastair.

Mike, I too am concerned over the sheer number of controls and inputs, and
I agree they need to be whittled down to a more manageable number.
Personally, I'd like to see that number reduced to roughly 20-30 at the
most, and we will be meeting today during the COGA TF regularly scheduled
conference call to talk about that.

That said, introducing a SC today that, at AA *suggests* (and at AAA
*requires*) the use of metadata is an important step in addressing the
needs of PwD, and more specifically those with cognitive issues.

I agree that COGA Semantics is not yet mature enough, but that is but one
metadata schema that can be used, and the SC as presented is careful to not
specifically mandate the use of COGA Semantics (in very much the same way
that WCAG 2.0 did not, and still to this day does not, mandate the use of
ARIA).

There are in fact other schemas available to authors today, as illustrated
below:

Common Component: input for Name

Technique(s) for AA:

Good (but weak):
  (using @title - Spanish Example) <input type="text" aria-label="name"
title="Proporcione su nombre o apellido">
  (using @title - English Example) <input type="text" aria-label="name"
title="Provide your first or given name">

Better:
  (using Microformats) <input type="text" class="fname  styling-hook
 yet-another-class-value">
  (using microdata) <input type="text" itemprop="givenName" itemtype="
http://schema.org/Person">
  (using RDFa) <input type="text" property="givenName" typeof="Person">

Best:
  (using COGA Semantics) <input type="text" coga-field="name">

*************
Technique(s) for AAA:

Good:
  (using Microformats) <input type="text" class="fname">
  (using microdata) <input type="text" itemprop="givenName" itemtype="
http://schema.org/Person">
  (using RDFa) <input type="text" property="givenName" typeof="Person">

Best:
  (using COGA Semantics) <input type="text" coga-field="name">

So, yes, I agree, COGA Semantics is not yet mature enough, but the fact
that other forms of metadata have already created taxonomical entries for
many of these very input and control types illustrate to me both a real
need, and an existing solution that needs but the additional nudge of WCAG
2.1 to start paying off in real benefits soon.

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist