RE: essential use case of personlization missed out

Ø  In summary, these optimized publications are subject to metadata requirements enabling them to be identified as such, but not to any content requirements derived from WCAG

Seems like a media alternative under the current WCAG.  Media alternatives are subject to some success criteria but not others.

Jonathan

From: White, Jason J [mailto:jjwhite@ets.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:16 PM
To: Alastair Campbell; lisa.seeman
Cc: David MacDonald; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: RE: essential use case of personlization missed out

It should also be noted that Silver may combine user agent requirements and content requirements into a single specification.

WCAG is not the place for requirements or guidance for authors who wish to write content intended for very specific audiences that may not be broadly accessible. I think the way in which the EPUB Accessibility 1.0 specification deals with the issue of publications optimized for people with specific disabilities, but which may not meet more general accessibility standards, offers an interesting solution.
See section 5 (“Optimized Publications”) at
http://www.idpf.org/epub/a11y/accessibility.html

In summary, these optimized publications are subject to metadata requirements enabling them to be identified as such, but not to any content requirements derived from WCAG. Thus, for example, a structured audio book in EPUB format would fail to conform to WCAG on account of being inaccessible to readers who are deaf, but it remains nonetheless useful to its intended audiences and hence qualifies as an “optimized publication” that does not conform to the EPUB Accessibility specification as an accessible publication, but nevertheless remains subject to metadata-related provisions.