RE: Issues with Target Size SC

I’m fine with that approach as well obviously.  If we want the AAA version in as is, then I would just ask that the AGWG recognize that it would basically require blocks of text have 44 pixel line heights.

PS – Detlev, I think tenacity is a positive trait in the accessibility world, so no apology necessary ;).

Steve

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 8:18 AM
To: Detlev Fischer <detlev.fischer@testkreis.de>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>; Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Subject: Re: Issues with Target Size SC

I agree with both Steve and Gregg's objections and also agree with Detlev's attempts to address them.

- Drop the AAA
- Make the requirement for groups of links (drop down menus, sidenavs, footers etc.) 22px for  less than 10 items, and exempt for more than 10.

In the future it might be easier to tell when a user is trying to hit a target with a fine or course pointer. Users who require large targets because of significant dexterity disabilities generally need 100px so even the 44px requirement would have minimal impact on that user group, but it would break the existing desktop web.

Now the one implementation problem with more than 10 exemption is that a lot of CMS environments don't know how many links will be in their menu. But the 22px requirement is not onerous, so they'll probably just create their menus with 22px space, so I think its OK.

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.

Tel:  613.235.4902