Re: Question about 1.2.4 Captions (Live) (AA) and 1.2.9 Audio-only (Live) (AAA)

I would guess the cleanest change to address this would be to to promote
1.2.9 from AAA to AA (technically, if live audio as part of
multimedia/sync'd media/video presentation needs to have captions, then
so should audio-only - captions or some other form of alternative - as
the effort required would be same or arguably even lower than injecting
captions into multimedia/video).

Thoughts?

On 11/07/2017 15:42, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> On 11/07/2017 15:07, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
>> Patrick,
>> I don’t remember the conversation around this specifically, but I do
>> recall there being a lot of concern even about live captions for
>> synchronized media at AA, so this may have been a compromise.
>>
>> I can vaguely recall discussion (but may be misremembering) around the
>> volume of audio content that online radio stations and other
>> continuous broadcasters put out, so it may have been done in response
>> to comments. I do see that 1.2.9 was added between CR and PR, but
>> don’t see anything in a quick scan of the minutes.
>
> Thanks Andrew. Wondering if this is something that could/should be
> looked at for WCAG 2.1. Currently, this seems weirdly unbalanced - and
> as the volume of sync'd media, even just live videos with audio, is
> becoming more and more common (while at the time of WCAG 2 it may have
> been more of a rarity?) this will probably start to cause issues or
> result in weird loopholes. (For instance, if faced with decision of
> whether to just stream audio or do an audio+video stream, some
> developers/publishers may opt to just to audio-only since that then has
> no captioning/alternative requirement under AA - and yes, while 1.1.1
> does have a tiny mention about live audio, "text alternatives at least
> provide descriptive identification of the non-text content" means that
> all that would be required to pass here too is a simple "there's some
> live audio here..." type short description).

Patrick H. Lauke