From: Michael Pluke [mailto:Mike.Pluke@castle-consult.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2016 10:04 AM
To: Matt Garrish; 'David MacDonald'; 'WCAG'; 'Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL'; 'Wilco Fiers'; 'Siegman, Tzviya - Hoboken'; 'George Kerscher'; 'Charles LaPierre'; 'Avneesh Singh'
Subject: RE: DPUB Set of Web Pages

I thought that I ought to highlight some earlier work related to applying WCAG 2.0 to documents - including the set of Web pages issue.

The WCAG2ICT Task Force, that I co-convened, published a Working Group Note https://www.w3.org/TR/wcag2ict/ that included the concept of a "set of documents" that was supposed to be a mapping to a set of Web pages. This was supposed to be used in applying the success criteria 2.4.1, 2.4.5, 3.2.3 and 3.2.4 to documents.

Both "document" and "wet of documents" were defined - https://www.w3.org/TR/wcag2ict/#keyterms_document and https://www.w3.org/TR/wcag2ict/#keyterms_set-of-documents

Probably the DPUB group should at least take a look at this earlier work.

Having said this, I must point out that when EN 301 549 (the European equivalent to Section 508) was developed the consensus opinion was that applying 2.4.1, 2.4.5, 3.2.3 and 3.2.4 to documents using the "set of documents" definition did not capture the key accessibility needs. An unfortunate result of this is that in EN 301 549 there is no equivalents to 2.4.1, 2.4.5, 3.2.3 and 3.2.4 for documents (or for software programs).

Perhaps the DPUB group can find a more compelling way of applying 2.4.1, 2.4.5, 3.2.3 and 3.2.4 to documents - good luck!

Best regards

Mike