Re: Re[4]: Colour Luminosity/Contrast for form inputs/controls/components

And talking about contrast for things other than text there are a couple things to keep in mind.

1) the amount of contrast needed to see controls and other objects is much less than the contrast needed to make out fine details on 10 strokes of letters. So the contrast requirements should not be anywhere near as high for other things as it does for the strokes of letters.

2) with letters you have the letter and the background. When you talk about other controls you may have things that have many different colors. Setting contrast requirements can make it very difficult or impossible to use a reasonable color spectrum for the objects if they are multicolored. One strategy for getting around this would be to put an outline around every object.

3) you will run into The same problems with varied backgrounds that you do with text. The objects however are typically bigger than letter stokes so again the contrast issues are not quite as severe.

Remember that the contrast requirements for words were not set to make it possible to see that there was a Word there but to be able to make out the individual small features in the letters so that you could tell one letter from another .

One area that I see you focusing on that I think is good to focus on is the focus indicator. It currently has a rather ineffectual definition of having to be "visible". This is rather meaningless because if it were invisible it wouldn't be a focus indicator. It needs to be highly visible.   This is one item where the only thing we could get consensus on was that it be visible. We could then build techniques off of that as to how visible it should be and how to make it visible or more visible. We were not able to get any consensus for a stricter definition of visibility for the focus indicator.

Gregg

Sent from iPhone using dictation so expect transcription errors and ask if something doesn't make sense.  Thx