From:   "White, Jason J" <jjwhite@ets.org>
To:     Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org"
<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Date:   09/29/2016 03:03 PM
Subject:        RE: Question: testing for non-unique id values SC 4.1.1

[Jason] It may be a failure. In particular, I am concerned that assistive
technologies implemented in scripts (e.g., as browser extensions) may
encounter difficulties. For example, if they use querySelector() or
getElementById() to match an element with a specified ID, the search of
the document tree won't be restricted to "visible" nodes.
The kind of script demonstrated by Lisa Seeman on behalf of the COGA Task
Force at TPAC last week provides a very good example of what I have in
mind. It can be implemented as a browser extension that offers cognitive
support (an assistive technology) to the user.
I would only consider loosening the requirements of WCAG if we could be
sure that duplicate IDs or other departures from the success criteria in
"hidden" content wouldn't result in problems for assistive technologies,
including those which are browser-based rather than platform-based.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or
confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom
it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or
take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and
delete it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.