From: Katie Haritos-Shea GMAIL [mailto:ryladog@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:15 PM
To: 'Jonathan Avila' <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>; 'WCAG WG' <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Clarification of SC 1.2.3

Jon,

You said: And the deafblind person is a good example as SC 1.2 only requires alternatives for time-based content and NOT text equivalents.  Time-based media is not covered under SC 1.1.1.

Did you mean that when you wrote “Time-based media is not covered under SC 1.1.1”?

Because it certainly is, time-based media requires “text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content.”, plus the additional requirements (Success Criteria) that fall under Guideline 2.

1.1.1’s first bullet is….

Time-Based Media: If non-text content is time-based media, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text content. (Refer to  <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#media-equiv> Guideline 1.2 for additional requirements for media.)

​​​​​

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)