RE: Success Criteria guidance

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 2, 2016 1:49 PM

Success Criteria shall:

[Jason] […]
·        Avoid where possible establishing criteria for content which are addressed in other Success Criteria
[Jason] It isn’t clear to me what this means. Does it means “consolidate similar requirements into a single success criterion, where feasible and appropriate”, or something else?
·        Use glossary definitions to simplify and shorten all SC for shared terms.
[Jason] If a concept is only needed once, is it better to define it in the SC where it is needed instead of moving the details into a glossary definition? For terms that occur more than once, I agree that a glossary definition is better.

==end==

The additional point was raised by Greg Lowney and suggested that we should require the following as additional guidance:

(Success Criteria Shall) Clearly specify whether the described behavior is required to be (a) always on, (b) on in the default configuration, (c) available in the default configuration, or (d) available (possibly using third-party tools).
[Jason] This appears to be better suited to assistive technology or user agent requirements than to content requirements, and it’s also subject to issues of personalization technology that we haven’t yet addressed, and which may go well beyond the scope of WCAG 2.1. I am also concerned about requiring anything of new SCs that isn’t already true of the existing SCs.

We already have conditional statements that restrict the application of requirements to specific circumstances, for example, “If non-text content is time-based media, then […]”. I think this is a good practice which should continue.

Thank you for your compliance.