FW: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

>If we are thinking about WCAG in concert with WCAG2ICT we can’t make this claim.
Meeting WCAG 2.1 will also meet WCAG 2 but not vice versa.WCAG2ICT will need updating for 2.1.
At a very minimum I think we should drop the note about a sentence being link context, and add Accessible Name as an option.
From: akirkpat@adobe.com
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 16:44:38 +0000
Subject: Re: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

There was lots of discussion about lists of links in screen readers and that this new term did not ensure that a list would have meaningful links. But it was determined that the behaviour of AT was not the responsibility
 of the group and that if AT is taking web content out of context to provide a list of linksto blind people it was beyond the scope of what we should require of authors to support.

This point goes to my earlier question – what is best for users, and how do we know?

Meanwhile, WAI ARIA came along to solve this and did so. It is mature and supported

If we are thinking about WCAG in concert with WCAG2ICT we can’t make this claim.

WCAG is technology independent. So is WAI ARIA. It is a group of attributes that can be added to any language... it just happens that HTML is the first to fully adopt AIRA.

And that is a potential problem for technology independence.  My gut is that this sort of change would make more sense in a major release where we can look at underlying architectural issues on both the content and user agent sides at the same time.

AWK