RE: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:58 AM

Not to tangle up this thread -- but adding clarity to SC 4.1.2 that it does apply to all controls including links and not just custom controls would help.  Some of the language in SC 4.1.2 has caused people including some on this list to think that it only applies to custom components.  I read that it applies to all components but for standard component’s it’s already met.
[Jason] yes, for standard components provided by a markup language it is already met. However, the issue here is whether making the purpose of a link clear by specifying an accessible name or description is enough to satisfy 2.4.4. 4.1.2 requires that it be present, but this doesn’t clarify the relationship with 2.4.4. “Link text” might not be the same as the label or description given to assistive technologies, as in the aria-label override example wehre the text of the link and the label given to AT are different.
So I think there’s a problem here that merits clarification, as others have maintained.

Thank you for your compliance.