Re: Automated A11y non-issues and SC Parsing 4.1.1

On 18/07/2016 13:24, Joshue O Connor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a client which uses multiple IDs in their UI widgets - these IDs
> are 'active' at different times for different reasons depending where
> the user is within a 'flow'. It hasn't demonstrated any a11y problems,
> but is technically a fail of SC 4.1.1.

I would think that in older AT (which takes a copy of the DOM/scrapes
the source) this may have caused a problem. But in modern scenarios
(where the information is obtained via the accessibility tree/API) this
sort of dynamic change of whatever the element with a particular id is
should be fine. I can also confirm that I've not seen any actual
problems with these sorts of things (where two elements have same id,
but one is always display:none'd for instance) in practice.

> My client is doing really good work in terms of their a11y approach, and
> I really don't want to fail them on this. But these 'errors' are called
> out by automated tools, and will be visible to anyone else testing the
> site. I just can't say they have resulted in a problem at all.
>
> What would you guys/gals do? Do this also represent a 'false negative'
> that we should address in 2.1 or Silver?

It's definitely a false positive in my book, and a good example of where
tools which simply analyze the source (rather than the actual DOM tree)
will struggle.

Patrick H. Lauke