Re: New SC: Meaningful element name

On 18/07/2016 12:38, Alastair Campbell wrote:
> Sailesh wrote:
>
>     Proposed SC: Element name exposed to assistive technology is
>     meaningful and describes element's purpose.  Level AA
>
> That sounds good for the case of specific elements that need it (e.g. nav with aria-label), but might need tightening up to exclude other elements.
>
> I seem to have broken my accessibility inspector at the moment, but Isn’t an element name exposed for many elements? It implies that you’d have to name pretty much everything, which probably isn’t what you intended?

I'd be in favor of expanding the concept to be, in essence, a widening
of "2.4.4 Link Purpose (In Context)" but for things that aren't links.
Ensuring that the name (in the 4.1.2 sense) of elements if meaningful
and exposes the purpose of the element. Currently, if you have a page
with lots of "More" links that fail 2.4.4, you could simply change those
to be <button> elements and it then would quite happily pass (unless I'm
missing something?). With this new proposed SC, they'd fail here (and
rightly so).

Patrick H. Lauke