RE: 1.4.2 audio control, do we want to require the stop mechanism to be more discoverable?

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:42 AM

Agreed, although thinking about this, maybe the answer is not "no auto-play" but rather, "no auto-volume" (without user input). We have great precedence here for that already, as this is what Facebook does with embedded videos today, and I've seen examples of video ads inserted on pages with the same functionality: the video is "playing" but the audio is muted until the end user adjusts the volume. (One of the other awesome things I'm noting is that, because of this default behavior in FaceBook, more videos are including captions, often artistically as part of the video, to further entice users to turn the audio up. Yay!)
[Jason] Users who can’t reach the volume adjustment  quickly would then have to restart the video from the beginning so as to hear all of the audio track.
This entire discussion suggests a valuable role for personalization in determining whether, under what conditions and how time-based media are presented to users. As is true of other personal needs and preferences, it is desirable that the settings be established once, then transferred (with any necessary adaptations being made) to all of the user’s devices.
Independently of personalization possibilities, I think this is largely a user agent issue, but the content author still has a responsibility where user agents don’t provide the needed flexibility.

Thank you for your compliance.