From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 11:10 AM
To: Jonathan Avila
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: Responsive tables and accessibility

Often the purpose of a table is to allow users to compare values both vertically and horizontally.

Linearizing does not allow this — as you must choose one or the other.  You can do two linearizing but you then can do one or the other but not both.

Try taking a budget sheet and doing this — and then trying to analyze it and check it — or draw conclusions from it.

I think it is FINE to linearize twice for those that feel this is better for them.  But I’m not sure that we should Require that every website behave the way instead of using horizontal scrolling.

This is not speaking against responsive design - which I thoroughly endorse.    Just that there are some types of information that cannot be flowed without losing information/function.   We need to figure out how to characterize the exceptions in an objective and not list-like manner.

gregg