Re: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

Hi Patrick

I don't think anyone wants to return to the top of the discussion? I am 3
days away from my paying clients on this topic, and others including
yourself are probably hoping it ends soon. It appears that at least some of
the heat was generated by me not making it sufficiently clear that the
primary concern was about Responsive sites at various break points from the
same page (same URI). So we were talking about different scenarios
wondering why the other didn't understand.

Going back to Gregg's email.
" it fails the conformance clause because the accessible alternative  is
only available from the in accessible version under certain conditions -
not at all time. "

I expect the user has control over these settings you are mentioning ... if
they click a button for optimization voluntarily for accessibility reasons
and the result failed some SC in order to augment another etc., I don't
think that anyone on the committee would assert that the result of that
setting would be a failure ... I would think of that as the "state of the
page" rather than the "view of the page". My proposal is not to change the
normative language but to clarify something that it appears core members of
WCAG 2 understand is already covered in WCAG but not explicitly
enough.Because the issue is a fairly new development on the web which
creates an environment where it matters. (Responsive)

Perhaps we can manage it like this.

"The full page includes each view of the page that is customized for
various devices, browsers, or screen sizes. Each of these views (or their
respective conforming alternate versions) would need to conform in order
for the entire page to conform. On the other hand, if a user voluntarily
chooses a setting on the page that optimizes or personalizes the state of
the page for accessibility reasons, this new state does not necessarily
need to pass every Success Criteria in order to personalize the page,
because the conforming version can be reached by undoing the setting."

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*
Tel:  613.235.4902