Re: Help needed with numbering success criteria for WCAG 2.1

David wrote:

> Any new Success Criteria that have the x.x.x schema under these
Guidelines would have to go at the end. So a new AA SC would end up after
an existing AAA in the number Guideline

Serious question: does anyone see this as a problem?

For example, under Guideline 1.4, we have a total of 9 Success Criteria: 2
A's, 3 AA's, and 4 AAA's. If we were to add a new 1.4 Guideline requirement
(at any level), would it be an impediment or problem to have, say, 1.4.10
(AA)? (I strongly suspect we'll not see too many A's this time 'round). In
other words, keep the Guideline numbering as important at a logical level
(i.e. "Guideline 1.4 Distinguishable: Make it easier for users to see and
hear content including separating foreground from background"), but the
order of presentation between A, AA, and AAA is to my mind less critical.
The only time I see this as being an issue (and I am not sure how much of
an issue it would be) is when generating a full evaluation report.

By experience (and observation from our different clients at Deque), most
developers (or other roles involved in creation and maintenance of web
content), when faced with "accessibility issues" tend to whittle them down
to individual bugs, often tracked in a bug tracker (and usually with their
own internal identifier number), and in larger organizations, often times
individual bugs will be assigned to different developers, so they rarely
are dealing with "The Brick" that is a complete evaluation of a
page/web-site. So while there is the notion that there is a nice holistic
symmetry in having the SC presented as A, AA, AAA in the larger document, I
don't think it will have any significant impact on actually moving things
forward.

> Simply presenting them out of order and grouped by Level

Personally, I'd actually lean towards keeping them in numerical order in
the actual specification, and let tools and supporting documentation allow
for filtering and grouping based upon those criteria (for example, similar
to how the quickref "How To Meet WCAG 2.0" allows filtering today -
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/?currentsidebar=%23col_customize)

JF

--
John Foliot