RE: Help needed with numbering success criteria for WCAG 2.1

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2016 4:32 PM

I would be interested in this activity. I have some thoughts on this already (I know, shocking huh?), but I'm also interested to hear other's ideas as well.
[Jason] A solution that might work would be to add a prefix letter (e.g., “x”) to the number of every modified or promoted success criterion. This would clearly distinguish version 2.1 from version 2.0 success criteria for authors, evaluation tools and in other contexts.
I think it should be decided, case by case, whether to rewrite and expand the scope of an existing guideline or success criterion, or whether to introduce a new one. Readability for users of version 2.1 would have priority, in my mind, over backward compatibility. Once people move to the new version, the older version becomes much less relevant to most of their work.

Thank you for your compliance.