From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2016 1:40 PM
To: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: H91 changes

*  The technique appears to be asking authors to check their forms using an accessibility API debugging tool at the platform level, whereas if HTML 5 is implemented properly, correct use of HTML form elements is enough to guarantee correct information at the accessibility API level. I think it’s sufficient for content authors to use the HTML elements correctly. The accessibility API mapping isn’t their responsibility. If it’s wrong, it’s a user agent bug.

I don’t think the technique is suggesting to use an API tool to catch issues with the browser.  The fact is that the accessible name calculation is complex and includes things like pseudo elements so it’s very tricky.  Using the API inspection tool is to help developers confirm that what they thought is the accessible name is really the accessible name – use of this is very important.  They don’t have to use just an API inspection tool though as there are alternatives that do parse the HTML for you.  These include Chrome’s Accessibility Developer Tools and Bryan Garaventa’s Visual ARIA bookmarklet.

http://whatsock.com/training/matrices/visual-aria.htm

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila

Chief Accessibility Officer

SSB BART Group

jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com <mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>

703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online:  <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/> Website |  <https://twitter.com/SSBBARTGroup> Twitter |  <https://www.facebook.com/ssbbartgroup> Facebook |  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/355266?trk=tyah> Linkedin |  <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/blog/> Blog

 <http://www.ssbbartgroup.com/webinars/> Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!