Re: regions of a page failure technique

+1
Note a <div> with class = nav, heading or footer is a tip off in HTML 4.
Use Case:
There are pages that do have obvious heading, navigation and footer
information (not all pages but many), the WAI page for example.  WCAG
allows you to bypass these blocks with skip links, but usually skip links
say go to main content. On the second or third visit to a page you may want
to go to a specific navigation area, or to the footer for related links or
the "contact us" link.  HTML 5 recognized the existence of these groupings
and formalized it into elements, but the semantics were always there. We
can certainly list these groupings in our techniques. Failure to enable
screen readers users a way to get to these region
fails to call out relationships that are expressed by presentation only.