Re: New SC relating to notifications of content change

Hi David,

I think that’s a really good start. I wonder if it needs to be narrowed a bit to avoid overlapping with ‘changes of context’, and to prevent notification overload?

Thinking about it, the issues with “changes of context” are currently triggered by on-focus and on-input only. We should keep in mind there are triggers (focus, input, user change, and automatic) and changes (context, content).

This proposal is generalizing the triggers to include any user-action or automatic update, and expanding the issue itself (content or context changing).

That makes the proposal feel like a 3.2.0 (as in, prequel to the current 3.2.1 and 3.2.2) rather than a 3.4.x.

A couple of suggestions to narrow it:

-          A narrower applicability could take a 1.3.1 approach of something like: “Changes in content conveyed through an updated presentation trigger a programmatic notification”.
That would catch changes that are highlighted visually, but not changes which are assumed to be updated without a visual notification (e.g. a form updating the following questions).

I’m not sure that wording is good enough, but I’m trying to say: If you visually highlight or draw attention to the change, it’s important, so programmatically highlight it as well.

-          Remove the examples which are change of context, for me that is: orientation, responsive pages, switching grid to list view, pagination link (items 1 & 2, 9 & 11). Assuming we don’t update the context definition, they are covered by change of context, rather than just content.
Either we need to combine content & context and focus on the triggers (on-focus, on-input, automatic), or keep them separate and not overlapping.

I’d also add that low-vision users (could) benefit, e.g:

-          Users who use magnification can be notified about updates outside of their current view.

Cheers,

-Alastair