Re: New SC relating to notifications of content change (was Re: Some thinking around the orientation discussion)

On 06/05/2016 16:41, White, Jason J wrote:

> I think SC 4.1.2 is narrower than it should be due to the definition
> of "user interface components". Nevertheless, the requirement to
> provide notification of changes to assistive technologies is not
> restricted to the component which currently has focus; updates
> elsewhere in the content also qualify.

The explicit use of "user interface components" (and its definition) in
the SC's wording, the note about "This success criterion is primarily
for Web authors who develop or script their own user interface
components", and the whole of the "Understanding..." page relating to
this SC
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/ensure-compat-rsv.html
(including all techniques linked from here) don't give me any indication
that this also covers dynamic content (rather than interface/control)
changes in the page (and more fundamentally, changes in overall page
structure).

In my past audits, I have always covered the issues I'm thinking of
under 4.1.2, but it never felt quite right / stretching the definition.

I would say this would warrant a new SC in some future iteration of WCAG
(as I don't think that, because of the normative language of the SC
explicitly mentioning "user interface components", this can be
monkey-patched just with some changes to "Understanding...").

Maybe something for a TF to pick up? The discussion did originate in the
mobile TF in the context of orientation change and possible resulting
significant layout/structure changes. But it does go deeper than just that.

Patrick H. Lauke