Re: Let's add an approved date field to Failures and Techniques

>>“Failures are failures whether we document them or not. Documenting them
is just a *courtesy* to people to make COMMON failures more evident (and
less common)”, which is how I’ve always thought of them, so I am surprised
to hear that others see the Failures as more important than that. ...

That would be wonderful, simply to do that. Let's document common failures.
We are currently not documenting common failures, or ANY failures. There is
perhaps nothing more common these days than missing region markers, and I
would suggest, nothing easier to fix. Jason was absolutely correct. What
was missing in my failure proposal was to mention the technology relied
upon. Here's conformance requirement 4:

*4. Only Accessibility-Supported Ways of Using Technologies:* Only
accessibility-supported
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#accessibility-supporteddef> ways of using
technologies <https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#technologydef> are relied upon
<https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#reliedupondef> to satisfy the success
criteria. Any information or functionality that is provided in a way that
is not accessibility supported is also available in a way that is
accessibility supported. (See Understanding accessibility support
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-accessibility-support-head>.)

 So if someone is relying on HTML5, then they should use NAV, MAIN, FOOTER,
HEADER etc. or Landmark roles. And it is an extremely common failure,
especially a missing <main> element, We should document it as a "common
courtesy".

Cheers,
David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*