Re: Changing definition of "Large text" to use px rather than pt

On 26/04/2016 16:19, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
 >>> pts are defined in inches — so they are an absolute number.
 >>>
 >>> pixels are not — or do you have some absolute definition of px
meaning a
 >>> fraction of an inch (or mm)?

> read the definition in the Glossary
>
> it explains it there

Gregg, not sure if you've actually read any of this thread, or the
discussion on the relevant github issue, but - as Alastair pointed out -
even in Note 3 of the actual glossary definition it clearly says that
no, it's NOT an "absolute number" as you said when you joined this
thread, but that in fact it's anchored on CSS pixels, which granted do
have an idealised relationship to inches (as per
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values/#absolute-lengths "1px = 1/96th of
1in" - then again, inches are then defined in relation to pixels, in a
wondefully cyclical reference "1in = 2.54cm = 96px") ... but also
clearly is anchored on the reference pixel (or the browser's
approximation thereof) and bears no relation to real-world inches.

"Note: If the anchor unit is the pixel unit, the physical units might
not match their physical measurements. Alternatively if the anchor unit
is a physical unit, the pixel unit might not map to a whole number of
device pixels" - https://drafts.csswg.org/css-values/#absolute-lengths

As this is the case in all screen based user agents past and present
(and there's no indication future UAs will change this, for fear of
breaking backwards compatibility with content that does rely on this
fact), we can conclude that: points are anchored on CSS pixels, so why
are we defining sizes in points - a unit of measure which practically no
web author actually uses - when the most logical unit of measure for
screen-based authors is px? Since the relationship between pt and px is
always 1pt = 1.3333333px (96/72), it makes no substantive difference,
but avoids this entire conversation we've now been having trying to
explain what's mean by points.

--
Patrick H. Lauke