Re: Re[2]: Comments on WCAG.Next Models

Hi Gregg,

Please note that this was sent to more than "interest groups" - it was also
sent to the WCAG Working Group's main mailing list as well, as this is and
was an activity undertaken inside of that Working Group.

This activity also happened with the awareness of, and contributions from,
both Michael and Judy, and again, with the goal of clarifying *how* the
extensions (already a mandated deliverable in the WCAG Charter) would
actually function. This is not something *new*, it is not an attempt to
re-charter WCAG WG, it is simply about getting consensus on what the
extensions will look like, how (and when) they will be rolled out, and how
they will work interoperability-wise.

Currently, the WCAG Charter says this about "extensions":

Develop normative WCAG 2.0 extensions and support materials to address
special topic areas as needed without changing the meaning of conformance
to WCAG 2.0 on its own:

   - Define criteria for specific user groups and industry verticals that
      have identified needs for accessibility guidance, including but
not limited
      to:
         - mobile devices,
         - cognitive impairments and learning disabilities,
         - digital learning materials,
         - low vision;
      - Ensure that while extensions may or may not redefine aspects of
   WCAG 2.0 within the context of the extension, extension work does not
   affect the validity of any current WCAG 2.0 claim;
   - Provide guidance for how WCAG 2.0 extensions could apply to non-web
   content as needed;

That's it. There is nothing there about how, when, where, or even what, and
so members of the Working Group set off to try and get, or formulate and
propose answers to those questions.

This effort is an activity of the WCAG WG, and I took appropriate steps to
ensure that we were not overstepping our bounds, nor procedurally doing
anything outside of W3C policy. The feedback from this exercise has been
delivered to the co-chairs of the Working Group, who will decide upon next
steps - one which may very-well be a formal Call for Consensus. I don't
believe we are at the end of the discussion, however I think we've managed
to effectively weed out possible models that won't work, based upon
community feedback and the compare and contrast exercise this activity
undertook.

Do you have any substantive comments you wish to add to this discussion
now? There isn't (and never was) a formal cut-off date for this focused
discussion, simply a desire to "get going" (as it were), and if you have
comments you'd like to contribute I am sure the Chairs would still welcome
them now.

Cheers!

JF

--