From: Jonathan Avila
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2016 9:43 PM
To: ALAN SMITH; Gregg Vanderheiden
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org; John Foliot; Katie Haritos-Shea; Sailesh Panchang; Jason J White
Subject: RE: Do icons fall under - 1.3.3 question for shapes/icons alone thatare used everywhere now but were not back in 2008

I believe the confusion around SC 1.3.3 lies in the mapping of SC 1.3.3 to F26.  F26 should ideally be mapped to SC 1.1.1 or removed.  The text in F26 is misleading and the test doesn’t address the claims that are made as the claims in the failure are broader than the current WCAG covers.

I agree with the need to provide access to what images and symbols mean – but it does not appear to fit under the current WCAG.  This is a great topic for the next WCAG.

My two cents.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer