Re: Changing definition of "Large text" to use px rather than pt

On 25/04/2016 22:41, ALAN SMITH wrote:
> Just a quick thought.
>
> I know many companies are designing for responsive design with break
> points - as they call them - for several specific device screen sizes.

Clarification: screen sizes defined in CSS units (mostly pixels and
ems), not physical dimensions (as there is no way to write a media query
breakpoint in physical sizes). Which loops us right back to the start of
the whole discussion.

> Would there be any value in mentioning some common screen sizes in any
> technical write up for this?

If you were thinking along the lines of "typical sizes are X, Y, Z, and
for those sizes your best font sizes are A, B, C" then there's possibly
little value here, as the typical screen sizes bear no relation to the
actual physical dimensions of screens, so again you'd be back at square
one and not actually defining anything substantial, unfortunately.

I think the one universal piece of advice when it comes to font sizing
would be (from a readability point of view): don't make your base font
size smaller than 1rem / the default UA base font size, and ensure that
your viewport (for mobile/tablet devices) is set to the device/UA's
ideal viewport (using width=device-width), as that should guarantee a
font size that the device manufacturer/UA developer deems to be readable.

Patrick H. Lauke