Re: CfC: Issue 157

Thank you John

this is immensely helpful and thorough.

I was just drafting a note back to Jonathan and the list — and was trying to go dig up the history.   ( I am in Germany in all day meetings this week in prep for and presenting to the European Commission review team on our Prosperity4All project — so was working off of the comment stream  - since I didnt have time to research original text myself.)

You are correct - I saw the comment about “the WG said” and thought that was in the Understanding WCAG 2.0 document.    Since it was not - there is no history of intent in that doc.

However, if the comment you cite is from a Last Call response, it does represent the thinking of the Working Group at the time  (which agrees with my memory of the discussion at the time).     The WG specifically discussed this and decided that it did NOT (and should not need to meet it in all states.  There was a long discussion and debate about it at the time — but the consensus was that it should not meet in all states (as noted below).   So it may not have been put into the Understanding WCAG 2.0 (which it should have) but it is documented what the working group meant when it went to final consensus vote.     So that is the meaning of the SC that was passed by the WG.

So - my conclusion still stands - though it would have been clearer if it had been in the Understanding WCAG 2.0.    The responses to comments in last call are however official public record of the meaning of the SC to the WG at the time of passage.

Note also the problem cited below with regard to the issue.  these were some of the considerations we had at the time.

gregg