Re: Authoring tools and WAI guidelines (was RE: Straw man list for WCAG.NEXT, another proposal...)

On 11/04/2016 17:43, White, Jason J wrote:

> I think this kind of work is fundamentally important. I doubt that
> libraries and frameworks are authoring tools in themselves,

Probably depends on the definition of authoring tool...and there's
probably potential for splitting hairs here. In a way, if an author is
using Bootstrap, they use ready-made components/building blocks to
assemble their own web content/application. Their tool is, of course, a
text editor or whatever, but they're working within the
framework/library and using it as a tool, or meta-tool...

> but they
> are widely used components designed to be used as part of an
> application.
>
> For purposes of "education and outreach", the message to application
> developers is to take care in choosing libraries/frameworks; and to
> library/framework developers, it is to support the creation of
> WCAG-conformant applications and to implement WAI-ARIA.
>
> I also agree that library/framework documentation should address
> accessibility appropriately.
>
> Is there anything more that the W3C should be doing in this area?

Particularly for ARIA patterns that are more complex, it would be good
to get more authoritative code examples...and also ensure that those
examples show reduced test cases (a lot of examples floating around for
ARIA seem to often combine a few patterns in an attempt to be more
"real-world", but by doing so muddy the waters of what exactly is
required/suggested purely for each one of its widgets/components). I
gather that this is being addressed now in ARIA 1.1 though.

Patrick H. Lauke