Re: Correction: 1.3.3 question for shapes/icons alone that are used everywhere now but were not back in 2008

On 04/04/2016 22:29, Jonathan Avila wrote:
> It's my reading of 1.3.3 that it only applies to instructions that
> reference other content by shape.  That is it would fail if you said
> click the square symbol.

I'm guessing this comes down to the almost philosophical discussion of
whether a symbol which acts as a label for a control is itself an
"instruction" of what the control does (and similarly, for things like
graphs). If the intent is purely concerned with instructions somewhere
else in the page, then on
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/content-structure-separation-understanding.html
Example 1, Additional Techniques (Advisory) for 1.3.3, and F26
https://www.w3.org/TR/2016/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20160317/F26 are misleading
(and more appropriate for 1.1.1, really).

Patrick H. Lauke