From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 2:33 PM
To: 'Mike Elledge'; 'Andrew Kirkpatrick'; Jonathan Avila; 'WCAG'
Subject: RE: Should techniques move to HTML5?

Hi Mike,

I’ll take a stab at that question.

Prior to HTML5, the W3C had a concept of ‘deprecation’ which meant that a feature/function/element/{whatever} could gracefully exit. HTML5 abandoned deprecation in favor of simply “obsolete”, with no middle, in-between quasi-ground. What this means in practical terms however is a bit more nuanced.

Browsers that supported a feature/function in HTML4.1 (or even HTML 3.2) will continue to support that feature/function to preserve backward compatibility. Assistive technology normally follow suit, but not always. The W3C validator however will flag it’s use as non-conformant. The question then becomes, what is the impact on the end user?

In this example, when testing with FF/NVDA the column that should have been scoped Wednesday did not announce that to a non-sighted user, so not only is it a technical non-conformance issue, in my mind it is a practical one as well. Contrast that against a fully conformant HTML4.1 document that you’ve added ARIA to – ARIA wasn’t around when HTML4 was spec’ed, and so a true validator should flag all uses of aria-attributes as “failures” (because at a technical level they are), yet I would never advise a client to remove aria to achieve validator conformance. So it takes some human judgement as well

In this particular case, given that the technique of adding a scope attribute to a TD fails in at least the one test-configuration I tested in, leads me to suspect we should also ‘obsolete’ the Technique.

My $0.05 Cdn

JF