RE: CfC: Checkbox and Radio button labels and 1.3.1

Makoto UEKI - Infoaxia, Inc. [mailto:makoto.ueki@gmail.com] wrote:

> The key is the <p> element. And the aria-label or title string must be identical to
> the on-screen text. I won't recommend this technique, but I understood that this
> could also meet the SC 1.3.1.

Almost.

In the current example it was the <p> element, but really, any block-level element would achieve the same result, due to the parent-child relationship established. We can see this in most DOM viewers today, where clicking on a block-level element usually "expands" the element to show you the children of the element. So these would also be technically conformant (although not necessarily "very useful" for users with mobility issues, for example):

... etc. As for the onscreen text and the aria-label string being identical: I believe this should be true, but it is currently unclear in WCAG whether or not this is an actual requirement. It is, I think, something that the WG should take up separately, as has been suggested elsewhere.

JF