RE: CfC: Checkbox and Radio button labels and 1.3.1

Jon,

Just tell them to read the standard, not the Understanding doc for clarification.

The actual text of the normative standard, WCAG 2, is pretty clear to me: Not limited to and primarily in the Note, neither excludes HTML elements and controls. And all UI components, seems to say it all……

4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: For all  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#user-interface-componentdef> user interface components (including but not limited to: form elements, links and components generated by scripts), the  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#namedef> name and  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#roledef> role can be  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#programmaticallydetermineddef> programmatically determined; states, properties, and values that can be set by the user can be  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#programmaticallysetdef> programmatically set; and notification of changes to these items is available to  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef> user agents, including  <http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#atdef> assistive technologies. (Level A)

Note: This success criterion is primarily for Web authors who develop or script their own user interface components. For example, standard HTML controls already meet this success criterion when used according to specification.

​​​​​

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)