Re: CfC: Checkbox and Radio button labels and 1.3.1

> On Dec 7, 2015, at 17:24, Gregg Vanderheiden <gregg@raisingthefloor.org> wrote:
>
> Agree.  The bottom line for 1.3.1 is that   AT and access features in user agents can programmatically determine any information presented - including relationships between things on the page.     This was designed to not require any particular way of doing this —  and it was expected that as AT and user agents became smarter- they would be able to figure this out with less and less information being required from authors.        What is required at any point in time - is dependent on the abilities of AT and access features in browsers at that time.    So no permanent red lines should be drawn around any particular technologies.

Although the author can (indeed must) rely on features of a Web content technology in order to conform, it isn’t possible to “rely upon” the capabilities non-standard that a user agent or assistive technology may bring to the table. Suppose my hypothetical, highly proprietary user agent can infer structure from presentation, and the author of a Web site determines that it will give correct results for all of their content. They can’t rely upon support for my proprietary algorithms (effectively requiring users to access the content with my user agent) in order to conform.

So what is needed is that the improved capabilities to which Gregg referred should become standard and generally supported over time, diminishing the requirements placed on the content author.

Thank you for your compliance.