From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Friday, October 30, 2015 11:30 PM
To: Joshue O Connor
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org
Subject: Re: Do SCs need to be testable?

Thanks Josh,

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 11:08 AM, Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie> wrote:
> This brings up a question .  What are via alternatives to creating SCs? Without the SC approach, would it merely result a tranche of new techniques, or is there some other new or unused mechanism that might be an alternative?

I think the alternative would be to have guidelines and examples.

The guidelines do not need to be testable - but set a goal.

The examples show how it can be done.

The idea would be to go beyond what you can require   because requiring something means it must be testable and apply everywhere.  And there are so many good ideas that don't match these two requirements and therefore don't get recorded.

Also - trying to get more things required will get much push back from industry.   And for some reason they are very against things that relate to what they view as 'usability' - which is much or all of cognitive disability.     The are very much FOR it in design - but not for it being required.   The way to ride that - is to create a great manual on how to do it - but avoid making SC or requirements because    a) it will then be resisted and diminished   b) you will have to leave out - or diminish yourself -  so many good ideas because they can't be SC and if you have a few SC and mostly not- the mostly not (which will most of the great stuff) will be second class citizens in your own document.

Gregg