Re: Extension conflict/compatibility requirement

Sorry, I'm not sure how this got to general distribution.  Since it is on
the list let me explain.

I did not come lightly to the conclusion that 1.4.3 is an accommodation not
an accessibility criterion.

Understanding 1.4.3 has a mistake in its characterization of the need for
contrast minimums. The relationship between contrast minimum and visual
acuity is not as deterministic as Understanding 1.4.3 would imply.  I
originally doubted my understanding of the data so I contact Arditi
directly. He agreed with my interpretation.

 Here is what is known. (1) People with low visual acuity have higher value
for the minimum contrast before reading speed drops below 50% of optimum.
This bottom value is called the critical contrast. (Legge, Ruskin) (2)
Visual acuity and contrast are related, but not in the deterministic way
they are characterized in Understanding 1.4.3. (Arditi, Faye [2]) (3)
Contrast has almost no effect reading for people with central retina field
loss when the font size is sufficient (Legge, Rubin [1]).

Combining these three observations together we have the following: There is
a general need for higher contrast to support most people with low vision.
Setting minimum is not as helpful for a large minority of people with
central field loss, and for many it cause discomfort becaise central retina
field lows is often accompanied by light sensitivity (TSB).

It follows that setting a contrast minimum creates a benefit for some and a
disadvantage for others.  This is an example of an SC we do not want to
repeat, and it is the kind of SC that will cause conflict.  1.4.3 should be
replaced by something like:

1.4.3X A mechanism exists to enable users to increase or decrease the
contrast ration to a level that support sustained reading.

That would support accessible content much more than a fixed minimum. It
also conflict resistant.

I believe that a design flaw with WCAG 2.0 is its limited view of how much
flexibility is needed and possible for data.  Just as WCAG 1.0 set its
technological focus too narrow, WCAG 2.0 set its flexibility focus too
narrow.  Device diversity has pointed us in the right direction.

Wayne

[Arditi, Faye], Arditi, A. and Faye, E. (2004). Monocular and binocular
letter contrast sensitivity and letter acuity in a diverse ophthalmologic
practice. Supplement to Optometry and Vision Science, 81 (12S), 287.
[Legge, Rubin],PSYCHOPHYSICS OF READING: VI. TH
E ROLE OF CONTRAST IN LOWVISION,
http://gandalf.psych.umn.edu/users/legge/read6.pdf
[TSBVI], Specific Eye Conditions, http://www.tsbvi.edu/eye-conditions