RE: Level AA exceptions

Jonathan, good discussion

". . .I worry that adding in this information for specific AA criteria
might facilitate organizations or governing bodies cherry picking the
Level AA success criteria that can be skipped"
I worry too, but what prevents them?  Each organization or governing body
is left on their own, at least with no guidance from the working group.

". . . I wouldn?t say SC 2.4.7 Focus Visible is not essential."

Agree, exactly an example of my point.  Why is it level AA then?  Are
there some factors we need to consider?  Does it confuse or help some
user?  Is it not applicable to all content all the time? Which content and
when?

". . . conflating factors such as the technological challenges, e.g. video
description. "

OK, that factor helps explain why  SC 1.2.5 Audio Descriptions is Level
AA, but are the technological challenge factors that apply to SC 2.4.6
Focus Visible that assigned it to Level AA?  I dont think so.  But, what
were the factors then? Did it have to do with the better solution being
implemented in the browser settings?  Where is that documented?  and how
can we as a community better rally behind it to get the browser
manufactures to imlement user preference settings for visible focus
indicators?

". . . I?m not clear on how this would help practitioners better apply the
success criteria. "

In my example above it would help practitioners understand that the
"better" solution is (or could be) actually met by the browser/UA, and not
to do "bad" thinngs like bright yellow thick focus indicators for all
users on all content all the time.  We want adaptable defaults in this
situation, correct?  Explaining that for each SC would, in my opinion help
practitioners,  All the new practitioners that I meet are always asking
when and why, after they first ask for an "best practice" example
implementation that goes beyond the sufficient techniques.  Maybe we need
a survey developed, like the Web AIM Screen Reader sruvey, to ask
practitioners what they need most, hmm...

". . . What might be useful is to call out the specific checkpoints under
level AA that must be evaluated across multiple pages of a site"

Agree, that is also very useful, for designers to design in consistency,
developers to implement it consistenly,  and testers to validate it.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,