Re: Low Vision Needs

Hi Jonathan,

On 7/17/15, Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com> wrote:

> The link to the WebAIM survey is a good resource.

Gathering and reviewing previous studies and research is important.
Surveys can provide a low cost, convenient way to gather data.

However, a huge drawback of using surveys as an evaluation methodology
can be unreliable self-reported claims. What users say and what users
do can be very different things.

Usability testing can give the opportunity to observe actions. But
obtaining participants can be challenging. Last semester we conducted
usability testing of 2 teaching and learning web products here at the
University of Minnesota Duluth. Among the participants were 3 low
vision students. One did not use a screen magnifier.

I've used Knowability's AccessWorks database a few times to conduct
remote usability testing with people with disabilities. But I'm not
sure how many people with low  vision Knowability has available or if
the database would differentiate between the many types of low vison
and use/non-use of screen magnifiers.

I agree creating personas would be valuable. Writing use cases could be too.

Best Regards,
Laura

--
Laura L. Carlson