'"Usable Accessibility'" TF VS. Higher education

Hi Laura

Regarding the the 2 new proposed new task forces

   1. UX intersecting with a11y
   2. Higher education

I think the the higher education issue is a low hanging fruit. I think an
experienced WCAG person who is in the education world could fairly easily
identify issues and gaps in WCAG for LMS, Teacher/student bulletin boards,
etc... and come back to the committee with a proposed road map to meet the
gaps. My guess is that most SCs would apply, but perhaps some additional
techniques in an extension.

On the other hand UX is a huge field. I just don't see how we could add
that to our load. We have currently

-Mobile

-Cognitive

-Techniques (HTML, WAI ARIA, maintenence of current techs)

-Low vision

How are we going to take UX on? We are about a 14 person committee, all who
have full time jobs and do this volunteer. It took us 2 years to write 20
aria techniques.

When I speak with UX experts I have a great respect for their art. They
have a respect for mine. There are many things about UX that are beyond my
expertise and interest, which is how I can fill the gap between what people
with disabilities can do and what others take for granted. I recognize that
elegant design means better accessibility in many circumstances. In others
it means worse accessibility for some.

I'd rather address UX concerns within the context of the task forces
already set out. I'm guessing that there will be many UX proposals in the
cognitive TF, in the mobile and Low vision. I think through those lenses we
can propose some very good suggestions for UX experts to take into their
domain. I expect some of these will be best practices, but many will be
testable, and can find their way into the core.

Cheers,

David MacDonald

*Can**Adapt* *Solutions Inc.*

Tel:  613.235.4902