RE: Enabling Zoom on Mobile Devices

Hmmmm……

Jonathan said: In this case Chrome on Android has a “force enable zoom” option that when turned on will allow pinch zoom to work.  So in that user agent the technique is accessibility supported.  However, Firefox on Android blocks pinch zoom when userscale is set to no and I am not aware of a setting to override it.  In addition, I notice that the text size feature in Firefox also appears to be blocked when the viewport userscale is set to no.  As Alistair noted – sites have user agent detection and so different code may be present or not on different platforms.

Actually on my Android phone, Samsung Note 2,  without setting any special feature all three browser I use (the default browser, Chrome and Firefox) zooms in and out just fine……I am not aware that I may have turn on a “force enable zoom” feature on any of these browsers (not sure I would know how)……I *might* have turned on some similar feature for the phone as a whole.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Senior Accessibility SME (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)