Re: Responsive Design should be required

From: Jens Oliver Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 21:07:49 +0200
To: Wayne Dick <wayneedick@gmail.com>
Cc: GLWAI Guidelines WG org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> Issue 2: Responsive Design is a Prerequisite for Accessibility

Is actually, logically true?

It’s clear what this is aiming at, but I’m not sure it follows from
the premises. If a user has only one device, and the content he
accesses can be represented accessibly on that device, then it does
not seem to be a fair statement that that content needs to be
responsive.

I’m not sure either, then, whether that view is just splitting hairs:
few content is for one device (group) only. Yet a more realistic and
also popular scenario may still be something like designing for some
lowest common denominator that may again be accessible from most
devices, without being responsive in the spirit of how we talk
responsiveness these days. And that, too, would doubt whether it
logically follows that responsiveness is any prerequisite for
accessibility.

--
Jens Oliver Meiert
http://meiert.com/en/