From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 9:28 AM
To: David MacDonald; James Nurthen; WCAG
Subject: RE: Using CSS to insert Content

Thanks David,
Looking at the results I wonder whether the issue is with IE or with JAWS in how it gathers information from IE.  It looks like the UIA API supports the CSS generated text – is that the API that JAWS uses?  Seems possible that IE is doing the right thing and JAWS is using the DOM for that information.

Knowing that the generated content not working is an issue for IE, I wouldn’t rely on this mechanism to deliver substantial content, but I think that one of the main use cases we were talking about was to apply open and closing quotes to the quote.

Would we say that the quote is not properly indicating the relationship expressed in the presentation (SC1.3.1) for AT users?  Clearly if you said that IE11 was not part of your accessibility support statement then you’d have no issue, but what if you did include IE11?  In my example below I could make an argument that the fact that there is a quote is going to be obvious to a non-sighted user because of the “David said” lead in, but I’m sure I could make a counter-example also.  What do people think?

Sample code:

Sample CSS:
q:lang(en) { quotes: '"' '"' "'" "'" }