Re: Proposed mobile techniques for SC 3.1

comments below

gregg

----------------------------------
Gregg Vanderheiden
gregg@raisingthefloor.org

> On Apr 13, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Kun Zhang <kunzhang@w3.org> wrote:
>
> If "Keyboard" control is very important for Touchscreen Devices, it should have a clear definition, imagine touchscreen device is ATM, watch, GPS, this is not always make sense in general keyboard     definition.
>
> - Kenny Zhang
>
> 在 2015/4/10 0:51, Andrew Kirkpatrick 写道:
>> 3.1 Keyboard Control for Touchscreen Devices
>>
>> Ensuring keyboard control for all functionality
>> Ensuring touch access control for all functionality
>> Ensuring that users are not trapped in content (using touch and keyboard)
>> Defining the hover, focus, selected and touch (regular, long) states
>> Use focus, hover and select states consistently and in a way that follows the respective platform conventions
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1)      Does each technique make sense to you?  (for now these are just titles, so it can be a challenge to be certain)

GV: <start>

Ensuring keyboard control for all functionality
YES - with WCAG exceptions of course.

Ensuring touch access control for all functionality
Hmmmm.   I think this is hard.  For example — where you have physical toggle keys (e.g. the sound/off switch on the side of the device) how would you toggle that physical control from the screen. And if you did - then the switch on the side would show the wrong status.
Home button is another one.. but that COULD be made available.

I think that as an advisory it is fine.

Ensuring that users are not trapped in content (using touch and keyboard)
For keyboards this is handled under a  different SC
For touchscreens I don’t think I would list this (here nor under the “TRAP” SC) unless you can think of some way that you CAN trap someone with a touchscreen.

Defining the hover, focus, selected and touch (regular, long) states
Use focus, hover and select states consistently and in a way that follows the respective platform conventions

Not sure I understand this one - what does it mean?   I presumed they are defined if code is written implementing them.   Do you mean explain?

GV: <end>

>> 2)      Do you agree that the referenced success criteria is applicable to each suggested technique, or that the technique is applicable to the SC)?

GV: I don’t think 3.1 applies to touchscreen.   But as advisory I think you could attach touchscreen items here.

>> 3)      Do you think that there is another technique that this might better be an example for instead of a technique on its own?

GV: Hmmm.  Interesting thought.   Nothing comes to mind.

 • Ensuring keyboard control for all functionality
This one of course IS SC 2.1.1

 • Ensuring touch access control for all functionality
This would not be an example of any technique I know of.

 • Ensuring that users are not trapped in content (using touch and keyboard)
For touch I don’t think it makes sense.  At least I have never heard of or seen it.
For keyboard it is already SC 2.1.2

 • Defining the hover, focus, selected and touch (regular, long) states
again Im not sure I understand what this means exactly.

  • Use focus, hover and select states consistently and in a way that follows the respective platform conventions
This one should be attached to  SC 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation and 3.2.4 Consistent Identification

>> 4)      Do you think that each is likely to be sufficient or advisory?

All are advisory.

The keyboard aspects of two are SC - so not really techniques.
The rest don’t satisfy any SC so they can’t be sufficient.

>> 5)      Are there other techniques that you can think of that address the SC in the mobile space?

No. But a good explanation is needed to people understand the importance of access via keyboard interface on a device that has no physical keyboard.

If you don’t have one - I could help put one together from notes around the time this was done — but with special emphasis on Keyboardless devices.

Gregg