Re: Placeholder behavior

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 20:28:18 +0100
To: Sailesh Panchang <spanchang02@yahoo.com>
Cc: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Working Group <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
hi sailesh,

although placeholder should not be used as a label it sometimes is. For the
purpose of accessible name calculation in browsers placeholder is used as a
fallback accessible name in accessibility APIs when other names sources are
not provided.

here are some results of browser testing from late last year
http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/placeholder-labelling.html

--

Regards

SteveF