From: Sailesh Panchang [mailto:spanchang02@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 2:20 PM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org; Jonathan Avila
Subject: RE: ARIA1 examples

Hi Jonathan,
As a user, will you be satisfied with the "X" as the accessible name for the button in example 1? Or would you prefer aria-label="Close window"?
The instructional text at the end of the dialog is available to all in the proper reading order; it is a long sentence and  it may not help usability if read every time one tabs to the button. And that would serve as a description ... not a name.
Will the form controls in example 2 or 3 fail WCAG2 (Level A) if  the content authors omitted aria-describedby?
Thanks,
Sailesh

 To: "Sailesh Panchang" <spanchang02@yahoo.com>, "w3c-wai-gl@w3.org" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 Date: Thursday, October 2, 2014, 12:52 PM

 > If the instructional
 text is always visible  and placed below / next to the  field, aria-describedby will help user experience but is not  required to pass any SC.

 I'm not sure this is something we all agree  on.  If field specific instructions are not associated with  a field then it could fail SC 1.3.1 -- especially if the  instructions are after the field and we have a programmatic  way to associate them via ARIA.

 Jonathan