Re: Question about page title and @lang on pages within iframes

On 8/21/2014 9:23 AM, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> From what I understand, browsers treat an iframe as a separate page
> for security reasons.

Doesn't this depend if the iframe is from the same origin or not? I know
I can certainly create cross iframe javascript when the pages are being
served from the same origin.

> Based on that, I don’t think relying on inheritance is sufficient for
> styles, scripts or language.

The user agent still has access to the inheritance information for this
so I'm not sure why not specifying the language of an iframe should
cause any AT difficulty.

> However, the iframe itself can have a title (attribute), so I don’t
> think another title (element) in the iframe source page will help
> particularly.

Agree - I have no idea how a title element in an iframe would ever get
communicated to a user.

I've always flagged missing TITLE elements and language attributes as
potential violations on visible IFRAME elements but I think I have been
doing this as I believe WCAG is unclear on this rather than based on any
real fundamental issues which would be observed based on this.

If this could be cleared up I believe I could eliminate developers from
doing some unnecessary work and allow them to concentrate on more real
issues.

Regards,
James

--
Regards, James

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
James Nurthen | Principal Engineer, Accessibility
Phone: +1 650 506 6781 <tel:+1%20650%20506%206781> | Mobile: +1 415 987
1918 <tel:+1%20415%20987%201918>
Oracle Corporate Architecture
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065